- Read: – Reading is the first step to effective writing. You need to read novels, short stories, autobiography, biography, newspapers, and periodicals. In short, you have to become a voracious reader.
- Research: – When you read technical content, make it a point to do research on specific topics. For example, you might read about a natural skin care product containing herbal ingredients. Make a list of them and research on their characteristics, composition, how they react with the skin etc. The related topics are types of skin, texture, and tone, common skin problems, healing with the ingredients etc. This makes your research complete and relevant.
- Experience: – Experience is the best teacher you can find. Start writing on small topics like mobile phone, laptop, phone charger etc. Write your own experience with them. For example, you might write about the features in your mobile phone which you use regularly. List out the positive and negative points. Get your content edited by an experienced writer and take guidelines.
- Talent: – Identify the talents you have. For example, you might be good in reason and logic, imaginative thinking or specific subject like physics; math, social science etc. make a list of them. Write the positive points for every talent. Be frank in writing down your weak points. For example, it could be lack of patience while reading.
- Ambition: – What is your ambition in life? What is your ambition as a writer? Write down whatever you feel in points. It can be a three-column table like the example given below.
- Personality: – Asses your personality by taking a simple test. Write about your brother and his talents. Similarly, choose a person with whom you get frequent fights. Try and write his/her good qualities. Similarly, write down your negative points without hesitation. Read all of them after writing. Ask yourself “have I been honest in writing?” If you feel the answer is yes, you can write about any subject without bias. If you feel it is not enough you need to practice being honest with yourself. “Search for how to be honest to myself in Google and read. See what you can follow from there”.
- Audience: – You need to write with your audience in your mind. Keep the language simple and effective. Avoid using complex words for which the reader may need a dictionary unless it is technical. Then you can create a small list at the end and explain the meaning in brief.
- Confidence: – While writing your concepts, focus fully on them. Don’t compromise on writing your concepts. Express your opinions openly without hesitation. Make sure you don’t hurt anybody’s sentiments and beliefs. Avoid using negative writing about others. For example, you might be writing about My-gate toothpaste. You don’t need to condemn the 4-hands toothpaste for making my-gate great.
|My ambition in writing||When I want to achieve this goal||Action plan|
|To write content with zero mistakes in grammar and spelling||One month||Read English vocabulary (A-Z) and write one paragraph for every word. For example, you might choose “SEO”. Write a paragraph on it. Initially write whatever you know. Then improve on it after getting it edited by experienced writers.|
|To write interesting content||One month||Start reading content from expert writers online. Download all the related content in PDF format. Make points as you read.|
|To bring flow into my content||One month||Take a PDF file and read the first paragraph. What is the point that connects the first and second sentences? For example, read the content below.|
- Review: – once you have written a paragraph, review it. Make corrections and then go ahead. In the beginning, it may take more time. You will get used to writing your best concept within a few weeks.
- The first sentence talks about the intended goal of the business owners. The second sentence speaks about what they are actually doing to achieve this goal. Actually, there is a contradiction between what they want and what they are doing. It is like two oxen for a bullock cart trying to pull it in opposite directions. You know what will happen. Another example is trying to prepare for the exams without reading anything and sitting idle. The fear of exam will be in your mind, but the fear of not being able to study well also exists at the same time. I have personally faced such fear many times in my writing career before. So, there is nothing to be ashamed or scared when you get such thoughts in your mind.
- Now coming back to the two sentences, the connecting point is the lack of action taken by the business owners to achieve the goal of acquiring special skills. So the development of a concept which connects the two sentences is very important. Similarly, there should be a connection between 1st and 2nd paragraph etc. So the content gives a sense of continuity to the readers. Now read the following two sentences.
“I don’t feel like going to college today. My father called me last week to discuss new bike. My mother is busy preparing food. My sister went to Canada yesterday. Tomato costs Rs. 100 per kilo”.
There is absolutely no connection between the sentences. This kind of writing should be avoided.
- Bulleted Points: – Use bulleted text whenever required with small side heading. The readers will know what they are going to read about. Some of them might only the subheadings, before going ahead. So make the subheadings captivating and attractive. For example, the <H2> subheading could be “Art of making Paneer Dosa– How to get the best taste”. This will make the readers go to the next paragraph without closing the page. In the bulleted subheadings you can use titles like Ingredients, quantity, mixing method, soaking time, grinding time, water quantity, salt quantity, pan to use, making method, adding Paneer etc. This will enhance the curiosity of the reader because the flow is maintained.
- Refer: – Refer to multiple points before writing. Make a list of what you want to write in points. Follow them from the start to finish. You won’t get lost anywhere in between.
- Analyze: – Analyze the subject before writing. Break your ideas into subheadings and then proceed. I used to start writing without thinking about the flow. I used to get stuck up in the middle. Wasting time in this manner can frustrate you and make you stop writing.
- Clarity: – Clarity about your concept is very important. Make a flow chart of the content. This will help you in maintaining clarity and continuity in your writing.
- New Ideas: – While writing you might get new ideas about the same concept. Don’t hesitate to include them in your writing. Make sure it doesn’t disturb the originally planned flow.
- Humor: – Add a few sentences of humor in between (only if required). I mean you can’t be sounding funny when writing about a technical subject. But you can add humor when writing about the user’s experience while using the product.
- Case study: – Add case studies whenever needed. For example, you might write about the health benefits of Aloe Vera. There you can quote some short case studies about people who have benefited from it. For example, you can write a paragraph about how your friend got his skin problems cured of it.
- Experiment with your writing
- Publish on facebook and ask your friends to comment
- Look for negative comments. They help you in making corrections
- Look for positive comments. They help you improve
- Start writing
- Don’t judge your own writing
- Don’t spend too much time analyzing
- Don’t postpone writing
- Don’t avoid reading
- Don’t compare your writing with others
- Don’t repent for making mistakes. Learn from them
- Don’t strain your mind and body too much. You will run out of ideas.
- Don’t try to become the perfect writer.
- Don’t feel writing is a burden.
- Meditate for 5 minutes before writing. Or simply sit quietly and think of nothing.
- Let your mind settle down. Sometimes it may take time. Don’t worry.
- Choose a calm place. You can’t write with a loud music playing around you.
- Make writing fun and entertaining.
- Take small breaks in between writing. I used to think of writing for 12 hours without break. That simply didn’t work. Take a break for 10 minutes after every one hour. Walk around and sip a coffee or a cup of water. Come back fresh and start writing.
- Write for a target time.
Web Content Writing
- Keywords: – Use the keywords intelligently. Don’t stuff the keywords where they don’t make sense. For example “Dallas Seo” is a keyword. You may write “Dallas SEO marketing is highly beneficial for your business”. “Dallas SEO the users need it for good searches” makes no sense. Avoid repetition and use synonyms unless the need for using the same keywords exists. For example, you might use “SEO in Dallas” as a synonym when the next sentence needs the same word.
- Genuine Content: – Write genuine content. Don’t copy from another source and make changes to it. You don’t even realize what you are writing. Your audience will not know what they are reading. By keeping your writing genuine, you can win more readers and orders.
- Understand: – Have a clear understanding of the subject before writing. For example “spinal cord problems in elders” is a subject. You need to know the causes, symptoms, problems faced by men and women from different age groups, medication for a specific cause and symptom etc. You don’t need to have a Ph.D. study for it. But you can always make short notes and start writing.
- Instant Reference: – While writing about the spinal cord, you may think of nervous problems connected with the cord. Go and search for “nerves problems and spinal cord pain”. Then analyze and include the concept in your writing. This kind of instant reference brings more coverage to your writing.
- New Approach: – Content writing you do is a new experience. Of course, you will need the previous content experience to give you support. But don’t lean too much on what you wrote yesterday. This will avoid repetition and make your writing interesting for you. In fact, you will start loving writing more than ever before.
- Stress: – Stress is an integral part of writing. Accept it. You might get physical and mental stress while working on deadlines. Relax while you are writing. This can happen when you enjoy your writing. For example, the writing I did here has taken me almost 12 hours. I had other pressing deadlines too. However, I took some real good time out. Because I also needed to evaluate how I am performing.
- Consistency: – Be consistent with your writing. One day you might write better, other day you might not. One day you might write more, the other day you may write none or too little. This phenomenon happens with every writer no matter new or experienced one. Don’t give up and keep writing.
- Allocate: – When you are writing limited content like 500 words or 1000 words, allocate a number of words for every subtopic. For example, you might end up writing 990 words about spinal cord causes and symptoms. For treatment, you might have space to write “go and visit a physiotherapy expert”. This makes no sense to the reader. Hence you need to split the content intelligently and write. This may take time for you to achieve. But with patience and persistence, you will be able to do it.
- Patience: – Practice patience while writing. Sometimes you don’t get any ideas at all. Just sit there and keep reading the reference materials. You will certainly start getting ideas.